Welding jobs at home or in job sites require the use of a welding helmet to prevent eye damage.
Whether engaged in small or big jobs, welders have to protect their eyes from the bright sparks or arc flash that emanate from the welding torch.
Selecting the appropriate helmet can be confusing when you browse through the various technologies used by manufacturers in improving the qualities of the helmets to meet the latest national safety standards.
To simplify this task, you can choose one from among the best helmets presented in this review that guarantee maximum safety and comfort to welders.
We have reviewed here helmets that use a passive or auto-darkening lens. First, you will read about the auto darkening helmets, because are more easy to use and more popular.
What is the best auto darkening welding helmet?- Here are our reviews
These helmets are more efficient than the standard models that you have to flip up and down while welding.
Auto darkening helmets are equipped with sensors that detect the arc and quickly darken the shade to protect the eyes from arc flash and then reverts back to the lighter shade for viewing the completed weld.
Thus, you avoid the inefficient lifting and lowering of the helmet as you go about preparing and finishing the welding job.
Lincoln welding helmets
Lincoln Electric Viking 3350 Black Welding Helmet
The Lincoln Electric Viking 3350 Black Welding Helmet – K3034-2 features an internal variable shade control of DIN6 to DIN13 to provide maximum eye protection suitable for various types of welding processes.
The higher sensitivities and quick switching time of 0.00004 seconds from light to dark ensure that welders will not suffer from the bright flashes of the welding arc. The Delay Control from the dark to the light shade is adjustable from 0.1 to .0 second.
- Optical clarity rating of 1/1/1/1
- Pivot style headgear that offers maximum comfort
- Large viewing screen of 3.74 x 3.74 inches for
- Adjustable sensitivity range of DIN6 to DIN13
- 00004 seconds switching time
- Compliant with ANSI Z87.1-2003 and CSA Z94.3 standards
- No test button to verify auto darkening functionality
- Glossy black finish scratches easily
The Lincoln Electric Viking 3350 has top ratings for Optical Class, Angle of Dependence, Diffusion of Light, and Variations in Luminous Transmittance, giving welders a clear and perfect view of the on-going job at all times, in any work environment.
It provides a wide angle of view that is ideal in tight welding environments that limit head movements and vision.
The helmet weighs about 595 grams but is balanced by the adjustability of the headgear an excellent suspension system that keeps the welder comfortable. It is powered by a replaceable lithium battery.
Lincoln Electric K3064-1 Variable auto-darkening Welding Helmet
The Lincoln Electric K3064-1 variable auto-darkening welding helmet is an ideal pick for anyone searching for an affordable entry-level helmet that can go the extra mile protection wise.
It has a wealth of impressive features that can offer you the optical clarity needed to handle all your welding projects safely and efficiently.
In particular, has a trendy design that separates it from Lincoln’s traditional black models. Here are some of the features and specifications to look out for in the Lincoln Electric K3064-1:
- Shade settings from9 to 13
- 2 arc sensors
- Can operate in temperatures ranging from 14 degrees F to 131 degrees F
- Solar powered.
- Has ample viewing space of 3.82 by 1.73 inches
The Lincoln Electric K3064-1 has an auto-darkening lens filter (ADF), which means that it can darken the lens from a shade of 9 to 13. Unlike some other welding helmets out in the market that run on lithium or cadmium batteries, this welding helmet, and its auto darkening feature run on solar power.
The weight of the Lincoln Electric K3064-1 is balanced beautifully as it is not too heavy or too light as to not offer sufficient protection. Rather, this welding helmet is lightweight and idea for individuals that struggle with heavier welding helmets and masks.
Lens switching speed
The K3064-1 has a lens switching speed of 40microsecands, which is vital for making the task at hand a lot easier.
- It has adequate viewing space that makes it possible to weld hard to reach spots.
- The lens is clear
- The helmet is lightweight which prevents fatigue if it has to be worn for long periods of time.
- Impressive exterior designs that consist of blue flames.
- Has a firm headband that grips the user well and stays on throughout.
- Very affordable
- It lacks a grinding mode and may not be a comprehensive solution to all your needs.
- The K3064-1 is a fine welding helmet to have around for simple projects, but it may not be sufficient enough for projects that have a lower TIG rating.
- It is perfect for use indoors. However, it does let in a good amount of backlight while outdoors.
If you are looking for a trusted entry-level welding helmet from a trusted manufacturer, the Lincoln Electric K3064-1 is a great choice.
Miller welding helmets
Miller Auto-Darkening Welding Digital Elite series
If you are an avid welder, there is a lot that you will like about the Miller Auto-Darkening Welding Digital Elite series. At first glance, the shape and the design are well proportioned and the compartment is large enough to ensure your comfort and adjustability.
The Digital Elite Series is a serious upgrade from the Performance Series. Case in point, this model comes with a digital lens and operates at 4 settings, namely the cut, weld, grind and Miller’s X modes.
The Elite series is top of the line and would be most suitable for professional welders or any welder looking to take on a large project. Although the helmet is powered by a lithium battery, it also has a solar assist feature to make certain that it keep serving your needs even when the power goes off unexpectedly.
Features and specifications to look out for
- It has an adequate viewing space of 9.22 sq in. 3.85 x 2.38 sq. in.
- Has lens shade of 3, 5 to 8, and 8 to 13
- Comes with 4 operating settings including X mode with prevents sunlight interference, as well as the cut, grind and wild modes of operating.
- It has a sensitivity delay control of 10 to 1.0 seconds.
- Designed in accordance with ANSI Z87.-2003 High Impact standards
- The helmet bag comes included with 5 outside and 2 inside cover lenses.
Operating modes and sensors
Since the miller welding helmet has 4 operating modes, it can cover a wide range of tasks and needs. The four Arc Sensors are incredibly fast, which guarantees that the helmet will go into the auto-darken feature without impacting your workflow or sight negatively.
The Miller Elite series is perfect for anyone looking for a durable long lasting helmet at a relatively affordable price. This is one of the strongest helmets out there as it meets ANSI high impact standards.
Since the adjustability settings have been upgraded from the Performance Series, the helmet comes with an extra strap for an enhanced fit.
The Digital controls are placed deliberately and carefully so that you do not have to take off your gloves to adjust them.
- Sufficient viewing field.
- 4 operating modes.
- Redesigned headgear for better fit and comfort.
- The digital buttons are conveniently situated.
- The hood sometimes falls unexpectedly if you lower your gaze to inspect.
- There are cheaper helmets out there that have a larger viewing screen.
This helmet takes is an impressive upgrade if you have been using the Performance series. It packs all its great features into one amazing piece of protective gear.
The Miller Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
The Miller Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet is part of the Digital Performance Series pioneered by Miller Electric, which is known all over the world for their premium auto-darkening welding helmets. This classic design is suitable for any DIY hobbyist looking for a helmet with solid optics. Because it is inexpensive, but also quite sensitive to continued use, beginners can utilize it for small indoor projects. It can also work well in a professional capacity as long as it is not used on industrial or large projects.
The main features and specifications to look out for
- The external welding material used is nylon
- The Miller auto darkening helmet has a sensitivity and delay control of 0.10 to 1.0 seconds
- It uses 2 lithium ion AAA batteries but also has an automatic on and off power control button
- 3 Arc Sensors
- Has a quick switching speed of 1 to 20,000 seconds.
- Has a large viewing area of 7.22 square inches
With 3 Arc Sensors, the Miller Auto-Darkening Welding helmet can cover a wide spectrum of needs. The sensors work exactly as they should auto darkening precisely when you change environments. The sensors are so quick and efficient that you will barely notice when the change occurs.
The auto darkening feature works well and is sensitive to slight light changes. Additionally, the Auto-On/Auto-Off feature is useful for extending the helmet’s battery life. It also enables the lens to activate precisely when you need it to so as to avoid flashes.
Although the Miler welding helmet can be considered lightweight at 2.85 pounds, it is highly durable especially if it is not used on a regular basis. The exterior has been crafted using quality nylon materials that ensure that it is not only smooth and resistant to scratches but also comfortable to wear as well.
As it is part of the Digital Performance Series, this Miller welding helmet has great adjustability allowing for an improved fit and enhanced comfort.
- This Miller welding helmet has a solid construction and will remain durable.
- The adjustable welding helmet makes it easy to use the helmet regardless of the shape of your head.
- It is ideal for a wide range of welding processes.
- It is extremely easy to use.
- The welding helmet comes with extra lenses
- The compact design is easy to move around and wear.
- It may be unsuitable for use for larger projects because the shade may not be dark enough.
The Miller Electric Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet is a worthy investment that can provide you sufficient protection and a wide viewing area.
Jackson welding helmets
Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
The Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet features Balder Technology (37191) that offers maximum protection with top ratings for angular dependence, optical clarity, variation of luminous transmittance, and diffusion of light for higher welding efficiency.
The adjustable sensitivity settings of DIN6 to DIN13 are suitable for many types of welding jobs, while the delay settings are likewise adjustable to suit the welding job and environment.
- Perfect 1/1/1/1 optical clarity ratings
- Compatibility with hard hats and magnifications filters
- Maximum protection of DIN9 to DIN13
- Full protection of the neck, face, and ears against weld sparks and dust
- Adjustable sensitivity and delay settings
- Large viewing screen
- Lightweight, high-density plastic shell
- Meets ANSI and ISEA Z87.1+2010 standards
The Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet is made of lightweight high-density plastic shell that provides ample, full-face and neck protection against welding sparks and dust.
It has an aerodynamically designed curved front cover plate to reduce the effects of heat build-up, and effectively reduces optical fogging.
The three-way adjustment of the headgear is ideal for getting a comfortable fit, and its compatibility with a hard hat makes it ideal in construction environments where worker safety is a priority.
Jackson Safety 46131 Insight Variable Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
The Jackson Safety 46131 Insight Variable Auto Darkening Welding Helmet is your best bet if you need a welding helmet that is versatile and long-lasting. It is suitable for use by both hobbyists and industrialists; however, it would be an ideal choice for welders that require protection on a day to day basis.
The Jackson W40 Insight is jam-packed with all the features that a professional welder would need. For instance, the smart auto darkening features enhance the helmet’s performance so that you can use it efficiently for an array of welding tasks including arc welding, MIG welding, as well as TIG welding.
You will also enjoy more flexibility when it comes to selecting between welding and grinding modes.
Here are some of the features to look out for:
- Lightweight at dimensions of 9.25 x 8.5 x 10 inches and a weight of 1 pound.
- Constructed with thermal plastic for durability and resistance to scratches.
- Delay and sensitivity control come with multi-function as well as digital controls.
- Compatible with older models HLX100 and HSL-100 exterior shells.
- Meets ANSIZ87.1-2010 and CSA compliant standards.
This is one of the easiest and most comfortable helmets to handle weighing a mere 20 ounces (the shell weighs less than 9). You can wear it all day without worrying what it will do to your back or neck. The shell is also well balanced so that the weight is distributed equally for superior comfort.
The Jackson welding helmet is equipped with 4 independent Arc Sensor that have been placed carefully so that they do not block your view as you weld. The careful positioning of the sensor will also come in handy if you are working in a cramped space or need to weld something that has a weird angle.
The viewing area is large allowing you to enjoy more viewing space for efficiency. While the Jackson Truesight 2’s viewing space is much larger than the W40, it is still bigger than most standard darkening lenses out there.
- You can switch from weld to grind mode easily while you still have your gloves on.
- Incredibly easy to use digital controls.
- Is equipped with 4 independent sensors are great for detecting the arc.
- The Jackson helmet sometimes experiences unexplained delays
- The sensors have been known to malfunction which can cause safety issues.
- Slightly high price
This helmet is worth every penny especially if you are in the market for a reliable and comfortable welding helmet to service your diverse needs.
Speed glass welding helmets
The 3M Speedglas Black Welding Helmet 100 with Auto-Darkening Filter
The 3M Speedglas Black Welding Helmet 100 with Auto-Darkening Filter could be the perfect addition to any welder’s tool shed. It offers welders a lot of amazing and impressive features at a great price. Therefore, if you are looking to replace your old welding helmet without necessarily breaking the bank, the 3M Speedglass 100V is the welding helmet for you.
Is an excellent choice for welders looking for a helmet that they can use for daily protection. Alternatively, it also works well for individuals searching for an entry level welding helmet for protection. One of the best components of this welding helmet is that it comes already pre-assembled which eliminates the hassle of having to do it yourself.
Features and specifications to look out for
- The 3M 100 comes with pre-set features and is ready to use upon unboxing.
- The Auto darkening feature is instant after the welding arc is detected.
- Has 3 sensitivity settings on the lens that suits a range of welding needs
- Great optical quality for efficiency
- Classic design
When you are looking for a quality welding helmet that can serve your needs well, one of the very first things that you have to consider is the optical quality of the helmet in question. The 3M Speedglass 100V has excellent optical clarity that offers clear views without any distortions or uneven lines on the lens. Owing to a shade range of 8 to 13, this helmet can be used for TIG, MIG, as well as stick welding applications.
The sensitivity settings
It has 3 sensitivity settings for an improved level of versatility. The normal setting can be used for solo welding tasks both indoors and outdoors. The other two settings are helpful if you are working alongside other welders or if you need to weld in a low-current mode.
Quick ADF reaction
The helmet features 5 selectable dark shades from 3 to 12 and a light shade of 3. The ADF reacts quickly and darkens immediately after striking an arc. Also, the field of view is also large for optimized performance.
- Has a great design and cutting-edge graphics that are cool
- Comfortable and easy to use.
- It offers eye protection from both sparks and extreme brightness.
- It is cheater lens capable.
- Slightly pricey for the budget buyer
- It only has 2 sensors
- Not solar capable.
All in all, the 3M Speedglass 100V is a fine addition for entry-level welders. Because 3M is a well known and trusted brand, it will serve a beginner until one needs upgraded features.
The 3M Speedglas Welding Helmet 9100
The 3M Speedglas Welding Helmet 9100 has an impressive set of features that ensure that you are provided with complete protection from heat, extreme brightness, or harmful emissions of radiation while welding.
This helmet was carefully researched and manufactured with the user’s safety in mind. In particular, it offers maximum protection from Infrared radiation and ultraviolet radiation so that you do not have to worry about your health or safety.
Additionally, the clarity of the 3M 9100 is as sharp and as crisp as you would want your ADF to be, which explains why it is a popular choice for professional and expert DIY welders.
Aside from its clear lens, the 3M 9100 also has the largest lens in the Speedglas product list coming it an outstanding 2.8×4.2in.
Features to look out for
- One of the largest viewing areas at 2.8 inches high by 4.2 inches wide.
- Filter shades of 3, 5 and 8 through 13.
- 3 efficient Arc Sensors
- Grind and touch cutting settings/modes
- Uses lithium powered replaceable batteries.
The auto darkening features transition quickly and efficiently as soon as you strike an arc. Once you strike the arc, the 91000XXX filter returns to shade 3 at an alarming speed of 40 to 250 microseconds. The efficiency of transitioning eliminates downtime, allowing you to inspect the weld puddle almost without delay.
An automatic filter
The helmet is made using 3M technology that consists of a purple colored exterior that is specially designed to block UV IR radiation at all times whether the helmet is powered or not. The ADF can switch from dark to light shade when the 3 arc sensor detects the welding arc. The level of protection supplied by the filter reduces instances of strain to the eye, which then improves the accuracy of every weld.
Protection from overheating
This the 3M 9100 is safe to use and you do not have to worry about the possibility of overheating. When you breathe, the hot air is redirected outside reducing the buildup of humidity or fog. The side channels also make sure that ample air is moving freely through the helmet.
This welding helmet is extremely comfortable thanks to the padded headband that reduces pressure to any vulnerable spots on your head.
- Very comfortable to wear and easy to use.
- Ideal for veterans or professionals.
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Prevents neck strain.
- Versatile settings for TIG, MIG and stick welding. It also works well for plasma cutting and grinding.
- It is very heavy
- It is slightly on the expensive side.
- No solar powered cells.
If you work on high amp welding projects regularly, you should consider buying this welding helmet. You will love what it can do.
Hobart welding helmets
The Hobart 770754 Impact Agent Orange Variable Auto-Dark Helmet
If you are looking for a dependable variable shade welding helmet to serve you for years to come, then you should probably invest in the Hobart 770754 Impact Agent Orange Variable Auto-Dark Helmet. This welding helmet is affordable and will provide you with effective protection throughout.
Is not like other helmets that promise a lot of features for zero value. Priced as an entry level welding helmet, the Hobart 770754 is actually one of the few affordable helmets in its class that offer a complete variable lens shading experience that will not disappoint.
The helmet is also extremely well-designed thanks to its durable polyamide exterior that facilitates a variable shade lens that ranges from eight to thirteen.
Features to look out for in the Hobart 770754
- A dependable 1/25000 second reaction time that is industrial grade.
- A Variable shade Number of 8-13 and a light state No.3.
- An ample Inch viewing area of 7.05 square inches.
- It is manufactured using Lightweight, durable polyamide.
- A sufficient viewing area of about 7 inches to ensure that your project is as visible as possible to avoid costly mistakes.
- The reaction time is ideal because it ensures that you are covered regardless of different light applications.
- It can be used for a wide range of applications including TIG, MIG, and stick.
- This helmet has great features for its price.
- The helmet accepts cheater lenses and is extremely comfortable.
- The sensitivity control offers you an infinite level of control and adjustment.
- It comes with dark to light delay control of close to a second that helps to prevent eye aches after welding.
- Because the hood is easy to flip up and the headband keeps everything in place, you experience less downtime while using it than you would with other helmets.
You might have to accessorize the helmet with magnifier lens if you have poor eyesight and need to see well in a dark environment.
The plastic of the helmet’s exterior is a little flimsy and thin compared to other helmets. This means that if you need a little more protection, you might have to invest in a higher quality helmet.
The Hobart 770754 is a great entry level helmet that has amazing industrial strength. It may not be the right helmet for you if you need to use it full time but it is ideal for hobbyists and for personal home use.
Hobart 770753 Pro Variable Auto-Dark Helmet
The Hobart 770753 Pro Variable Auto-Dark Helmet is rated higher than most other helmets that are priced the same.
For instance, it provides you with a much larger viewing area compared to some other Hobart helmets. It also has premium weld and grind modes that make it extremely easy and efficient to use. This particular helmet is part of the Discovery Series, which has received raving reviews from customers that have used it.
Features to look out for in the Hobart 770753 Pro Variable Auto-Dark Helmet
- The largest viewing area in the Discovery Series at 3.82in. by 2.36in.
- Has a reliable and effective switching speed 1/30,000 second reaction time.
- Has a convenient on and off control.
- It has 4 arc sensors that make it easy to use the welding helmet in hard to reach positions.
- The welding helmet is fitted with a gel pad for an amazing and comfortable fit.
- It has a variable shade range of eight to thirteen and a light state of 3. This setting can be adjusted to fit the environment in which the helmet is being used in.
- The Hobart 770753 helmet is embedded with an LCD lens technology which protects your eyes from potential harm.
- This helmet is made of durable polyamide which makes it lightweight.
- This helmet offers sufficient eye protection, which is ideal for anyone that needs extra protection over time as a result of light exposure.
- Depending on whether you need your helmet in a dark or light setting, the Hobart 770753 can be adjusted easily.
- It can improve your accuracy considerably thanks to the large viewing area.
- It has an effective and quick switching time which also keeps your eyes from being hurt.
- Is fitted with an internal control which is a big plus if you are going to use the helmet in a confined area.
If you do not know how to adjust a helmet, it can be a little difficult trying to use it for the very first time.
This is an ideal helmet for anyone looking for a helmet to use for a long time. If you buy this helmet, you can be assured that it will serve you for years.
Other Welding Helmets that Offer Auto Darkening
Safe66 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
This Auto Darkening Welding Helmet has a variable shade lens that adjusts from 9 to 13 dark states to provide appropriate protection from varying degrees of brightness generated by welding amperage of 40 to more than 200 amps.
The range of automatic shade darkening makes the helmet suitable for various welding operations such as TIG, MIG, and other welding types.
The quick automatic switching from the light shade to the darker shades prevents eye exposure to the harmful effects of the arc flash.
- Maximum protection provided by the dark shade states from 9 to 13
- External shade control for better protection
- Wide view area measuring 3.66 x 1.69 inches
- Quick switching time of 1/20000 seconds
- UV and IR protection of up to 15DIN
- Five shade number setting in dark state to match different intensities of arc brightness
- Wear and tear resistant material of polyamide-polycarbonate plastic
- Difficult to remove the front cover
This Helmet has a light shade state of 4 that allows clear viewing and inspection of the weld puddle without having to take the helmet off.
The shield viewing size measuring 3.66 x 1.69 inches provides a maximum peripheral vision that minimizes head movement from side to side, while the lightweight and cushion with adjustable tightness allow welding for long periods in comfort.
Antra AH7-860-0000 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
The Antra AH7-860-0000 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet employs the AntFi X60-8 technology that makes it suitable for use in different types of arc welding operations such as TIG, SMAW, MIG, Carbon Arc, and Plasma Arc, and for cutting operations.
It provides full face and front neck protection against welding sparks and employs a fully-automated power On/Off that automatically darkens the lens to prevent the arc flash from hurting the eyes.
- Increased peripheral vision from the large viewing area
- Automatic switching time of 0.00004 seconds
- Features AntFi X60-8 technology suitable for cutting operations and arc welding
- Full face and front neck protection
- Lightweight design and construction
- Cheater lens and 4 premium sensors for the large viewing area
- Made from high impact Polyimide Nylon
- Meets ANSI Z87.1 and CSA standards
- Uncomfortable headband
- Headgear does not remain in position when flipped up
- Lens is easily scratched
The Antra AH7-860-0000 is specially designed to provide maximum protection and comfortable use. It is lightweight at 450 grams and has a specially designed headband with a Push & Twist knob for easy adjustment.
It has a roomy interior that allows welders to use a dirt mask when welding and has a washable sweatband.
Viewing area measuring 3.78 x 3.50 inches has four premium sensors and an optical safety class that provides UV and IR protection.
Servore Auto Shade Darkening Welding Goggle and Shield
The Servore Auto Shade Darkening Welding Goggle and Shield is appropriate for various types of welding and for grinding jobs. The goggles and shield both feature Arc-513 that provides 5 levels of shade protection for various welding amps, from DIN5 to DIN13.
To improve durability and for maximum protection against dirt, dust, and welding spatters, the front cover lens is hard coated and the frame is made from heat-resistant, shock absorbing materials.
- Ergonomic design for best fit and comfort
- Adjustable shade levels for DIN5 to DIN13
- Suitable for use in grinding jobs
- Shock absorbing and heat resistant frame
- Air vent system
- Meets ANSI Z87.1 standards
- Lightweight, well-built, comfortable fit
- Hard to understand Korean produced instruction manual
- Only odd-numbered shade settings
- Limited field of view
The Servore Auto Shade Darkening Welding Goggle and Shield is equipped with an air vent system that reduces misting for optical comfort when engaged in welding jobs for long hours.
It features a Sensitivity Control Button allow welders to choose the correct sensitivity setting of the four sensors for optimal protection in various types of welding locations, and a Hold Button for switching the settings from the lighter DIN modes to the fixed black mode.
Conclusion – Top Pick for the Best Welding Helmet
Welding jobs can go on for long hours under far from ideal conditions or welding environment. Thus, optimal fit for comfort and maximum protection are the top criteria for helmets included in the welding helmet reviews.
Our best choice is the Lincoln Electric Viking 3350 Black Welding Helmet – K3034-2, which is a top of the line auto darkening welding helmet that combines safety features and a large viewing area with excellent optical clarity for efficiency, even in tight welding environments.
It also features a Grind Sensitivity Control Variable shade, 4 sensors for shade control, and a maximum TIG rating of 4 amps. To ensure comfort even when welding for long hours, the helmet gives an optimal fit through an adjustable pivot system for the head gear.